Monday, April 13, 2009

Food Memories Too Good Not to Share

I've been thinking lately about how my kids are missing out on some of the food pleasures that I enjoyed as a child. There are a lot of things that I ate on a regular basis growing up that my kids are totally missing out on. We were poor, but mom was a really good cook and always made sure we had something warm, filling and yummy to eat. It just wouldn't be right if they grew up and left this house without eating a single fried potato (tater) sandwich or trying a fried bologna sandwich.

I have many fond memories of roasting hot dogs on a fork over the flame on mom's cooktop. My kids would love to be able to do that, but it's quite impossible with my electric range. We've roasted them over the fire in the fireplace, but it's just not the same. But there are some things that I can make sure they have the opportunity to try. In the next few months, I plan on making some of the things that I remember mom making that for whatever reason I don't make now. Here's the list I've compiled so far (if any of my family members want to remind me of something I've left off, please do so). I'm sure there's more, but this is all I can think of now.

Fried Potato Sandwiches
Fried Bologna Sandwiches
Sandwich Spread (I loved this stuff as a child. Do they still make it?)
Bread Pudding
Jelly Roll
Chocolate Gravy

No comments: