Monday, April 13, 2009

Today's Blast from the Past--Chocolate Gravy

The first time anyone hears the words chocolate and gravy together, they wince and proclaim "Chocolate Gravy"? And with good reason. I love chocolate and gravy, but the idea that they could be one and the same, does take some getting used to. Even my adventurous kids weren't real excited about the prospect, but all three were converted instantly with the first bite.

Many Saturday mornings, my mom would make homemade biscuits, chocolate gravy and bacon. And let me tell you, it is a wonderful combination! There's something so good about soft, buttery biscuits, covered in hot, rich chocolate gravy with crispy, salty bacon for a side. It is the quintessential Southern comfort food combination.

Today I made the entire meal for the kids and all three loved it! I was afraid that it wouldn't be as good as I remembered it. A lot of things are for more enjoyed in the memory than they are relived, but not this time. The chocolate gravy was every bit as good and as scrumptious as I remembered.

1 comment:

Katina said...

I have to admit, it does sound disgusting, but I'm glad y'all had a good time and that it was as good as you remembered!