Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Labor Day


We don't usually do much for Labor Day and this year wasn't any different.  We relaxed and enjoyed being home until late in the afternoon, when we went across the street to my in-laws house and enjoyed my FIL's famous Baby Back Ribs!  I'm telling you he makes some lip-smacking, finger-licking ribs!  

I always bring Potato Salad to these events.  I don't even know if they'd let me in the door without it, but I was really in the mood to bring something fun in addition to the PS.  Ya know something sweet, and yummy and different! 

I rarely make cream pies.  I don't know why.  Maybe because they're not Justin's favorite or maybe it's because I don't really enjoy making pie crusts.  Well, that's no excuse.  Pilsbury makes some awesome pie crusts that you just unroll and plop in the pan!  So I armed myself with those and decided on Coconut Cream Pie and Chocolate Cream Pie.  It really couldn't have been any easier.  

The Coconut Pie recipe is from my sister.  I have no idea where she got the recipe, but it is the easiest custard recipe ever!  You make a paste with part of the milk, egg yolks and sugar and then add the rest of the milk and stir over low heat until it boils.  That way you don't have to worry about tempering the yolks correctly and ending up with scrambled eggs in your custard!  YUCK!  No, this recipe turns our smooth and creamy every single time!!  Thank you, Tammi!!

The Chocolate Pie recipe came from a recent issue of The Taste of the South magazine.  It was everything you want from a chocolate custard:  thick, rich and creamy and it used cocoa powder!  I'll definitely be making it again.


1 comment:

Katina said...

Hey, Brenda! This post reminded me that I need that recipe again. It's delicious! So send it on to me, and maybe I can make it sometime this fall or winter.