Sunday, September 14, 2008

Pumpkin Panache


I was trying to come up with a catchy title for this post and Pumpkin Panache kept coming to mind. It sounded good, but I wasn't entirely sure what panache meant. Here's what the dictionary had to say on the matter: panache- noun - flamboyant confidence of style or manner. I think it kind of fits. What do you think? Well anyway, it sounds good and that's the most important thing!

I love autumn. I love the the green leaves changing to a rainbow of golds and reds; the cool, crisp feeling in the air; the leaves swirling in the wind as they make their way to the ground where they crunch underfoot; the shortened days with the sunsetting in early evening; and I love pumpkins. Pumpkins just embody fall to me.

The best thing about pumpkins is all the goodies you can make to eat with them! And never forget how good they are for you! They are loaded with fiber, vitamins and antioxidants. So when you're indulging in Pumpkin Pie this Thanksgiving you are really doing your body a favor.

In the past, I've eaten Pumpkin Pie (duh), Pumpkin Butter, Pumpkin Muffins, Pumpkin Bread, Pumpkin Fritters, Pumpkin Bars, Pumpkin Roll (thanks Mom) and Pumpkin Fudge. I've even made and eaten Pumpkin Soup. This weekend I made Pumpkin Ice Cream with crunchy Pecan Topping that is really good! I also made Spiced Pumpkin Bread that turned out delicious! That is really what this post is all about! It was so easy and delicious that I thought I'd share the recipe. What made this recipe stand out from ones I've tried in the past is the addition of orange peel. It gave the bread just a touch of citrusy freshness that really complemented the pumpkin and spices perfectly!

If you try it, let me know! I'd love to hear your thoughts on it!

Spiced Pumpkin Bread 
(Cooking Pleasures magazine)

1 3/4 c all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/4 tsp baking powder

1 1/3 c sugar
1/2 c unsalted butter, softened
1 c canned pumpkin
2 eggs
2 tsp grated orange peel
1/2 c toasted pecans

Heat oven to 350. Spray 9" loaf pan with cooking spray.
Whisk the first 5 ingredients together in medium bowl.

Beat sugar and butter at medium-high speed  4 minutes 
or until light and fluffy.  And pumpkin, eggs, and orange peel.

Beat at medium speed until well blended.

Slowly beat in flour mixture at low speed just until blended.

Pour batter into pan and bake 60-65 minutes or until edges pull
away slightly from sides of pan and center springs back when lightly touched.

Cool in pan 10 minutes.  Remove from pan and cool completely before adding glaze.

Glaze--
1 c powder sugar
1 tbs milk 
1/4 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp orange peel

Whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl.  Pour over bread and enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great blog, Brenda! so much inspiration! Hope all is well, on your side of the world!